Nonprofit Law Resource Library

Table of Contents

Tax-Exempt Organization News

To Receive Updates & Announcements

Nonprofit Law Resource Library

State-By-State Annual Compliance - District of Columbia

Annual Filings for District of Columbia Nonprofit Organizations

To view initial filing requirements for District of Colombia nonprofit organizations, refer to our initial filings

  1. District of Columbia Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA)

    Form: Two Year Report
    Due Date: April 1 (Due April 1 of the very next year after the date of incorporation and once every two years thereafter. The Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs will mail the report to the agent on record prior to the due date.)

    Mailing Address:
    Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
    Corporations Division
    PO Box 92300
    Washington, DC 20090
    Information: (202) 442-4400
    Web Site:
    Online Filing Site:
    Filing Fee: $80
    Notes: There is a $50 late fee for this form.

    For a District of Columbia nonprofit planning guide, please refer to the following website:
  2. District of Columbia Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA)

    Form: Charitable Solicitation Renewal
    Due Date: Once every two years with a due date prescribed by the DCRA.

    Wells Fargo Bank
    DC Government Wholesale Lockbox 91360
    7175 Columbia Gateway Drive
    Columbia, MD 21046
    Information: (202) 442-4400
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $412.50
    Notes: Online renewals are the preferred method. Renewals may be completed at or

    Alternatively, a renewal form with instructions will be mailed to the organization by the DCRA.

    Late fees: 1-30 days $250
    30+ days $500
  3. Internal Revenue Service

    Form: Annual Return Form 990
    Due Date: 4 ½ months after end of fiscal year

    Internal Revenue Service
    Ogden, UT 84201-0027
    Information: (800) 829-1040
    Forms: (800) 829-3676
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $0
    Public Charities: Refer to the IRS website to determine which form to file (Form 990, Form 990-EZ or Form 990-N).

    Private Foundations: Submit Form 990PF, regardless of revenues.

Top of Page