Nonprofit Law Resource Library

Table of Contents

Tax-Exempt Organization News

To Receive Updates & Announcements

Nonprofit Law Resource Library

State-By-State Initial Compliance - Kentucky

Initial Filings for Kentucky Nonprofit Organizations

For a general discussion on starting a nonprofit organization, please refer to our article, Starting a Nonprofit Organization.

To view annual filing requirements for Kentucky nonprofit organizations, refer to our annual filings

  1. To Incorporate in Kentucky

    Submit Articles of Incorporation to:

    Secretary of State
    PO Box 718
    Frankfort, KY 40602-0718
    Information: (502) 564-3490
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $8
    Note: The Articles of Incorporation may be filed online through the One Stop Business Portal.
  2. To Obtain 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status

    Submit Form 1023, Application for Recognition of Exemption to:

    Note new address:
    Internal Revenue Service
    P.O. Box 12192
    Covington, KY 41012-0192
    Information: (800) 829-1040
    Forms: (800) 829-3676
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $850 ($400 if revenues less than $10,000/year)

    For more information on filing fees, see the IRS website.
  3. To Register with the Kentucky Department of Revenue

    Submit Form 10A100-I to:

    Kentucky Department of Revenue
    PO Box 299, Station 20
    Frankfort, KY 40602-0299
    Information: (502) 564-3306
    Fax: (502) 227-0772
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $0
  4. To Obtain Kentucky Corporate Income Tax Exemption

    Federally tax-exempt charities are also exempt from Kentucky Corporate Income Taxes. For more information contact the Kentucky Department of Revenue at:

    Kentucky Department of Revenue
    200 Fair Oaks Lane
    Frankfort, KY 40602
    Information: (502) 564-8139
    Web Site:
  5. To Obtain Kentucky Sales Tax Exemption

    501(c)(3) organizations may obtain exemption from sales taxes on purchases of tangible personal property or services to be used within the exempt functions of the organization by submitting Form 51A125 along with a copy of the IRS Determination Letter and Articles of Incorporation to:

    Sales and Use Tax Section
    Department of Revenue
    PO Box 1274
    Frankfort, KY 40602-1274
    Information: (502) 564-5170
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $0
  6. To Register with the Kentucky Attorney General

    Before soliciting in Kentucky, nonprofit organizations must submit a copy of their IRS Form 990 to the Attorney General. If the organization is newly formed and has not yet filed a Form 990, then it must file a notice of intent to solicit with the Attorney General's office. Contact the Attorney General's office with any questions.

    Office of the Attorney General
    1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 200
    Frankfort, KY 40601
    Attn: Charitable Registration
    Information: (502) 696-5300
    Fax: (502) 564-2894
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $0

Top of Page