Nonprofit Law Resource Library

Table of Contents

Tax-Exempt Organization News

To Receive Updates & Announcements

Nonprofit Law Resource Library

State-By-State Initial Compliance - New Jersey

Initial Filings for New Jersey Nonprofit Organizations

For a general discussion on starting a nonprofit organization, please refer to our article, Starting a Nonprofit Organization.

To view annual filing requirements for New Jersey nonprofit organizations, refer to our annual filings

  1. To Incorporate in New Jersey

    a. Submit the Public Records Filing for New Business Entity (typed or machine printed) to:

    New Jersey Dept. of the Treasury
    Division of Revenue/Corporate Filing Unit
    PO Box 308
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0308
    Information: (609) 292-9292
    Fax: (609) 984-6849
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $75
    Note: Expedited service (8.5 business hours) and same day service are available for an additional fee of $15 and $50 respectively. These services may be requested either over-the-counter at 33 W. State Street, 5th Floor, Trenton, NJ 08608-1214 or via facsimile at (609) 984-6851.

    b. Within 60 days of submitting the Public Records Filing, submit the Business Registration Application to:

    New Jersey Department of Revenue
    PO Box 252
    Trenton, NJ 08646-0252
    Information: (609) 292-9292
    Fax: (609) 292-4291
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $0
    Notes: For more details, refer to the Department of the Treasury's website.
    Both of these filings (Public Records Filing and the Business Registration Application) may be filed online at:
  2. To Obtain 501(c) Tax-Exempt Status

    a. Submit Form 1023 (501(c)(3) organizations) or 1024 (other 501(c) organizations), Application for Recognition of Exemption to:

    Note new address:
    Internal Revenue Service
    P.O. Box 12192
    Covington, KY 41012-0192
    Information: (800) 829-1040
    Forms: (800) 829-3676
    Web Site:
    Form 1023 Filing Fee: $850 ($275 for IRS Form 1023-EZ)
    Form 1024 Filing Fee: $850 ($400 if annual receipts will average not more than $10,000 in the first 4 years)
    Note: Certain 501(c)(3) organizations, including those with gross revenues at or below $50,000 annually, may qualify to file the online Form 1023-EZ, Streamlined Application for Recognition of Exemption. For more information and to determine if you are eligible for this form, refer to our Form 1023-EZ FAQ.

    b. 501(c)(4) organizations formed after July 8, 2016 must file Form 8976, Notice of Intent to Operate Under Section 501(c)(4), electronically within 60 days of formation:

    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $50 (This fee must be paid through the website)
    Notes: This filing must be completed by all 501(c)(4) organizations - including "self-declaring" organizations that do not file IRS Form 1024.
    For more information about this filing, refer to the IRS website.
  3. To Obtain New Jersey Corporate Business Tax Exemption

    Submit Bylaws, Certificate of Incorporation, and an affidavit, signed by an officer of the corporation, indicating that the corporation is:

    a. a nonprofit corporation that is not operated to make a profit,
    b. organized without capital stock,
    c. incorporated under the provisions of Titles 15, 15A, 16, or 17 of the Revised Statutes of New Jersey or under the laws of another state, and
    d. not conducted for the pecuniary profit or benefit of any private shareholder or individual


    Regulatory Services Branch
    New Jersey Division of Taxation
    PO Box 269
    Trenton, NJ 08695
    Information: (609) 292-5994
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $0
  4. To Obtain New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Exemptions

    Submit Form REG-1E (Application for ST-5 Exempt Organization Certificate) along with Bylaws, Certificate of Incorporation, and IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter to:

    New Jersey Division of Taxation
    Regulatory Services Branch
    PO Box 269
    Trenton, NJ 08695-0269
    Information: (609) 292-5994
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $0
  5. To Register with the Attorney General

    Upon receiving 501(c)(3) status and before soliciting funds in New Jersey, submit Form CRI-150-I (if funds raised > $25,000 in last fiscal year or organization contracted with a professional fundraiser) or Form CRI-200 (if funds raised < $25,000 or the organization is a bona fide veteran's group) along with Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter, and most recently filed IRS Form 990 to:

    New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs
    Charities Registration & Investigation Section
    PO Box 45021
    Newark, NJ 07101
    Information: (973) 504-6215
    Web Site:
    Filing Fee: $0-250 (depending on gross contributions)
    Notes: Organizations raising $10,000 or less and certain religious organizations and schools are exempt from this filing. Refer to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs website above and click on the "Charitable Fund Raising Regulations" link at the bottom of the page for details.

    The Unified Registration Statement (URS) form may be filed in place of this application. This can be found at the following website:

New Jersey Employment Filings

If the organization will have employees, the following filing is also required:

  • To Register with the New Jersey Department of Revenue

    Complete the online application for employer withholding and unemployment insurance taxes.

    New Jersey Department of Revenue
    PO Box 252
    Trenton, NH 08646-0252
    Information: (609) 292-9292
    Division of Taxation - Withholding Information:
    Department of Labor and Workforce Development:
    Notes: This registration may also be completed in paper form using Form NJ-REG.

    For more information on unemployment insurance taxes and related matters, refer to the Department of Labor and Workforce Development's Employer Handbook and FAQs.
  • Important note about unemployment insurance: Many states allow nonprofit organizations to fund unemployment insurance benefits on a reimbursable basis. This method of funding unemployment insurance may require additional filings not listed here. Furthermore, electing this method may require the organization to register and file in paper format. Organizations contemplating this method of funding their unemployment insurance obligations should check with the appropriate state office administering the unemployment insurance in that state.

    Top of Page